When can I use my ring sling?
- You can start using your ring sling right away if you feel comfortable with it and baby weighs at least 8 lbs or about 3.6 kg. Slings can be used for toddlers up to 35 lbs or about 15 kg. You should consult your doctor or midwife before slinging a baby weighing less than 8 lbs/3.6 kg.
How do I use my sling for a newborn?
- Newborns can be carried using legs in, still in “M” shape froggie style, or legs out. You can also do one leg in, one leg out. You can see what works best for you and baby by attempting to get baby in as they would be positioned laying on you. Babies will adjust to what is most comfortable for them. The big thing to watch for is that there is no weight in their ankles. You should also always be able to see their mouth and nose and that their chin isn’t against their chest.
What is OEKO-tex certified mean?
- The STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX® is a worldwide consistent, independent testing and certification system for raw, semi-finished, and finished textile products at all processing levels, as well as accessory materials. The certification ensures that the fabrics and textiles are free of harmful chemicals and safe for human use. This certification does not include the dye (coloring of the fabrics).
Do you have videos for how to get your baby in the sling?
- Yes! Check out the tutorials page and my instagram @ringslingsbyclaire for more videos.
What are the signs I’m carrying baby wrong?
- If you feel like baby is going to fall through the sling, feeling as if all the weight is being pulled forward, baby’s legs and/or feet are turning purple, or the fabric is too tight across your back or digging in to your shoulder or neck, then you should readjust or start over. Check my instagram for videos of quick fixes if the sling feels wrong.
Why ring slings?
- Ring slings are quick and easy to use, allowing you to comfortably carry your baby while having two hands free. Once baby has fallen asleep, it is easy to loosen and transfer baby to a crib or stroller.
- Linen is the perfect fabric for ring slings! Linen is a textile made from the fibers of the flax plant. It is light weight, absorbent and praised for it’s coolness. It softens the more it is used and washed while being very durable, lasting you a long time if you care for it properly. Linen is 30% stronger than cotton giving you excellent support while carrying your baby. The linen is OEKO-textile certified.
How are the slings sewn?
- Every sling has three seams sewn by the shoulder to hold the rings safely and securely. I look over all the fabric when I receive it to make sure there are no unusual pulls or holes. Aluminum rings are used which are different than hobby rings you would find at your local hobby shop. They are tested to withstand at least 220 lbs or the equivalent of 110 kg for baby carriers.
- Please don't hesitate to contact me with questions or to get a fit check! I will help you as much as I can. Send any pictures that will be useful to giving you advice/tips. Check out my instagram or facebook page @ringslingsbyclaire or email me at ringslingsbyclaire [at] gmail.com.